Jan 29, 2013

Review: The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter


Title: The Goddess Inheritance
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 2.25.2013
Pages: 384
Genre: Mythology
Series: Yes (The Goddess Test #3)
Source: eARC

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.

During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.

Review:
2013 is going to be difficult a year because so many of my favorite series are ending, and The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter marks the beginning of that end. This is the first final book in a series I’ve read thus far for this year and it saddens me to know my journey with Kate and Henry is over.

It’s hard to say much about the plot because so much has happened in the previous two books (The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted), but suffice to say it all culminates in this book. Carter does a fantastic job driving the plot and keeping up a quick, breathless pace to barrel you to the conclusion. All of Kate’s trials and tribulations have led to this book, and it’s been a crazy and fun ride.

My only gripe, and maybe it’s just me being greedy, is that I felt there wasn’t enough Henry and Kate as a couple in this book. Something always seemed to keep them apart the entire series which frustrated me as a reader. I was totally on board with their relationship and marriage, and I really expected The Goddess Inheritance to be pay off for the long waits suffered in previous books. Unfortunately that pay off came in the last three chapters of the last book. I could have gone for a lot more of Henry and Kate (and even their baby) bonding. I feel a little cheated out of that.

Fans of Greek mythology will definitely want to snap this series up. The books are quick reads and Carter’s writing is top notch. I’m sad to see this series end, but I’m excited to see what Carter has in store for us next. She most assuredly made a fan out of me with this series.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished this one Hannah! I agree with you on Henry and Kate, I was hoping for a bit more of them as a couple as well since their relationship has been such a struggle throughout, but I always blow through these books in no time because they're so action-packed. I'm looking forward to whatever series she writes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! I always feel the same way at the end of a big series—I wish there was just a little more time, especially the romantic walking off into the sunset part. Aimee Carter is awesome, I can't wait to see what she does next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get this one! That cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you liked it! I loved this one, much better than book #2. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that she writes a series about the search for the new goddess and that James falls for her. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!