Jun 20, 2013

Review: The Collector by Victoria Scott

Title: The Collector
Author: Victoria Scott
Publisher: Entangled
Publication Date: 4.2.2013
Pages: 352
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Dante Walker #1
Source: Purchased finished copy
Rating: A
Summary (from Goodreads):
He makes good girls...bad. 

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.


Review:
After going to a book festival and being urged (and by urged I mean ordered) to read The Collector from a group of bloggers I love (Steph, Jen, and Jenn), I decided to give it a try. I mean, Victoria Scott’s debut seemed to be on every blog I visited. People were constantly gushing about D-Dub and his awesomeness and I felt like that kid who wore blue jeans to the prom—I was clearly missing something.

This book is just flat out awesome fun once you muscle through the first chapter of Dante proclaiming his inherit awesomeness. Seriously. The boy declares he’s the man on the first page. Usually characters that are that cocky and arrogant piss me off and never regain my faith.

My boy, Dante, was one of the few who weaseled and cajoled his way back onto my good graces. Maybe because he actually is as amazing as he says he is. But don’t tell him I said that. Boy’s already got a swelled head.

The heart of the book is really in watching Dante shift from this playboy with a who-gives-a-flying-crap attitude to a person with feelings and morals and heart. All of this is thanks to Charlie, a girl who could not have been more his polar opposite. Geeky, awkward, and gangly Charlie who worked her way under Dante’s skin and right into my heart.

Scott blew me away with this debut. She writes her romance and action with the grace and ease of an author with a dozen books under her (or his) belt. There was no faltering or stalling, the plot kept moving along at a quick pace and I can’t wait for the sequel, The Liberator, to come out so I can crawl back into this incredible world she created.

Buy: Amazon

8 comments:

  1. Dante made me laugh, just because he was so damn full of himself. What a jackass! A lovable one but, yanno. And I did have to power through that first chapter because he was so grating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lurve me some Dante! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Hannah, I was like what the hell is that Steph's making me read on those first pages. What an insufferable ass! But, while I would never ever want to be friends with or date him, I did end up liking him a little. I think it was because he was always really nice in what he actually said. His thoughts were vain and unflattering, but he told off that guy for saying mean things about Charlie, even though he had similar thoughts. Stuff like that. Also, at least it was honest. Pretty sure most of the heroes in YA novels actually think like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I knew you would love it! Dante is an ass, but oh how I loved him by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it so much and I'm happy to hear Dante didn't piss you off and Charlie was to your liking as well. I still haven't gotten to it even though I've had the book for a few months on my shelf. I should really get on reading it. Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super excited for this! I have it sitting on my kindle and plan to start it probably in the next week or two. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this one and Dante has to be one of my favorite characters. I'm so glad you liked it too. I can't wait for The Liberator!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "After going to a book festival and being urged (and by urged I mean ordered) to read The Collector from a group of bloggers I love (Steph, Jen, and Jenn), I decided to give it a try. I mean, Victoria Scott’s debut seemed to be on every blog I visited. People were constantly gushing about D-Dub and his awesomeness and I felt like that kid who wore blue jeans to the prom—I was clearly missing something."

    ^-- This is how I feel right now. And the to-read pile is so large... but I don't know if I've read a single bad review of this book...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!