Mar 28, 2014

Review: Archetype by M.D. Waters

Title: Archetype
Author: M.D. Waters
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Publication Date: 2.6.2014
Pages: 384
Genre: Adult, Dystopian, SciFi, Romance, Mystery
Series: Archetype #1
Source: ARC from author

Rating: 5 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Emma wakes in a hospital, with no memory of what came before. Her husband, Declan, a powerful, seductive man, provides her with new memories, but her dreams contradict his stories, showing her a past life she can’t believe possible: memories of war, of a camp where girls are trained to be wives, of love for another man. Something inside her tells her not to speak of this, but she does not know why. She only knows she is at war with herself.

Suppressing those dreams during daylight hours, Emma lets Declan mold her into a happily married woman and begins to fall in love with him. But the day Noah stands before her, the line between her reality and dreams shatters.

In a future where women are a rare commodity, Emma fights for freedom but is held captive by the love of two men—one her husband, the other her worst enemy. If only she could remember which is which. . . .

Review:
This is one of those reviews that is so frustrating to write because all I can really say is, “OMG! Buy and read this book immediately …. But I can’t tell you why.” In one of the best debuts I’ve seen in years, M.D. Waters has drafted such a complex, layered world that peeling one single layer back could potentially expose the entire story. And I refuse to deny readers of that, “Holy sh*t” moment that comes while reading ARCHETYPE.

Emma is a complex girl with a lot of issues, the least of which being she wakes up with no memory to a gorgeous man standing over her saying he’s her husband. Never mind the voice that keeps whispering in her head and the dreams she has of another man. Emma has a lot to deal with, and you can’t help but cheer and root for her as a reader.

Mystery lovers will be thrilled over the twists and turns, romance lovers will swoon over multiple scenes, and scifi lovers will be in heaven. Waters is a powerhouse writer with a bright career ahead of herself. Thankfully the sequel, PROTOTYPE, will be out later this year! I, for one, cannot wait to get my hands on it!

Again, sorry for the brief review, but spilling one small secret could unravel all the others. Trust me when I say you need to read this one as soon as you can get your hands on it!



Buy: Amazon

4 comments:

  1. I love books that can keep me guessing. I also love scifi, swoony romance, and mystery. Looks like this one is something I will love. Although I don't read adult fiction, but I have been looking to dip my toe into the genre. It's just so huge and scary! Maybe I will start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhkay, I think I need to get this one ASAP. Your review is raving, and the synopsis really has me intrigued. Thanks for sharing this one, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your glowing review has made me very curious! I must read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this last year and couldn't agree more! I feel your pain for how to convince people to read this one without spoiling anything ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!