Aug 13, 2014

Review: When Day Breaks by Maya Banks

Title: When Day Breaks
Author: Maya Banks
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: 6.24.2014
Pages: 304
Genre: Adult, Romance, Military, Contemporary
Series: KGI #9
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business.
Qualifications: 
High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background.
Mission: 
Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t…

Eden is said to be one of the most beautiful women in the world. Her face has graced countless magazines and her body has sold millions of dollars of clothing. But her fame and beauty has earned her more than she ever imagined. Evil is stalking her, determined to extinguish the ethereal beauty forever.

Swanson or “Swanny” as his teammates call him is always up for the next mission. He came back from Afghanistan wounded and scarred. Hardly the kind of man who even belongs in the same room with Eden. And yet there’s something about the quiet beauty that stirs his blood and makes him dream of the impossible. Because Beauty loving the beast only happens in fairy tales and KGI doesn’t deal in fairy tales. Ever.

Review:
This definitely felt like more of a return to the KGI series I know and love. Whatever happened with the last book, Maya Banks found her groove again, and WHEN DAY BREAKS is a great ninth (NINTH!) addition to this hot military group.

Swanny has always been that guy that hovers in the background. He’s had a very minimal presence in the series and I wasn’t sure how I would like him being a romantic lead, but I was pleasantly surprised by how likeable and enjoyable he was. I kind of want to go back and re-read the series now so I can pay more attention to him.

Eden was a nice female to root for. She wasn’t the traditional model, but Banks did a great way of showing how models can care about their appearance (yes, I mean weight here) without starving themselves. Again, I wasn’t 100% sold on a model heroine, but Banks pulled it off with her usual awesomeness.


These books have started to feel a bit routine, I’ll admit. I’m hoping something jarring happens soon in one of the next books to spice things up a little, but overall I still love this series.

2 comments:

  1. I've only ever read Maya's highlander romances (which are amazing by the way), so I need to pick these up!!!! There's not much I love more than a sexy military romance. *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any of Maya's books before! I'm happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!