Jan 19, 2015

Review: Twisted Fate by Norah Olson

Title: Twisted Fate
Author: Norah Olson
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: 1.20.2015
Pages: 272
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Series: N/A
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
When Alyson meets Graham Copeland, the new boy next door, she instantly feels like he’s a kindred spirit—shy and awkward like her, someone who has trouble making friends. It’s impossible to resist having a crush on him. 

As usual, her sister, Sydney, sees things differently. In Sydney's mind, Graham's odd personality and secretive past scream psychopath, not sweetheart. Her gut is telling her to stay away from him, and to protect a love-struck Alyson from her own naïveté. But despite her instincts, Sydney is surprised to realize that a part of her is drawn to Graham, too. 

And the more Sydney gets to know him, the more she realizes just how right—and wrong—she is about everything.

Perfect for fans of Michelle Hodkin, and E. Lockhart’s 
We Were Liars,Twisted Fate is an unputdownable novel, teeming with suspense.

Review:
I live for that moment when a book literally makes my jaw drop. Like standing in the middle of the kitchen, family asking what's wrong with me, dropping my book on the table with a thunk shock. And TWISTED FATE definitely gave me that.

Honestly I haven't seen a lot of positive feedback for TWISTED FATE, but I can see why. The bulk of the pacing felt off to me. It was jumbled and confusing at times with a lot of unreliable narrators, which can make reading difficult. It was hard to let this book sweep me away when I was questioning everyone and everything.

But trust me, the end completely explains all of the whys.

TRUST ME.

I have to hand it to Norah Olson for jumping off the high dive in her debut novel. This book had more twists and turns than a funhouse, but for the most part, Olson handled it beautifully.


If you pick this up (which I recommend!), be prepared to be frustrated a few times. But also prepare to have your mind blown.
Buy: Twisted Fate

5 comments:

  1. Hm. Not sure what to think about this one Hannah! I definitely want to have my mind blown, but I think the build up to the mind-blowing would be really frustrating for me. Still, I kind of want to give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end just ... wow. Even now I smirk thinking about it because DAMN.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I can wait until the end if the pacing is off, but the whole jaw-dropping aspect has me quite curious. You have me confused :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got to a point where I was only reading to get to the end. But that end ... HOLY CRAP.

      Delete
  3. I'm a little scared to read this now, to be honest! Quirky pacing is hard to adjust to but if there's a mind-blowing ending...might be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!